Grow Crops And Start Your Own Garden
Before growing crops, you need to know how to plant seeds in Minecraft. With the right soil, irrigation, and growing conditions, you can have a garden producing crops year-round.
Instructions in this article apply to Minecraft for all platforms, including Windows, PS4, and Nintendo Switch.
Planting Seeds And Different Seed Types In Minecraft
Once players have tilled their farmland, they should place their vegetable seeds in their hand and either right-click the farmland block or press the use item button on their controller.
Doing so should plant the seeds on the farmland, where they can use nearby water resources to grow into budding crops. Depending on the seeds used, the crops can grow a little differently. For example, carrot, potato, beetroot, and wheat seeds all grow upward. However, melon and pumpkin seeds grow into a stem, which then grows a melon/pumpkin block in an adjacent farmland space.
Each crop responds to farm practices a little differently. Ordinary crops grow well in most situations. However, other options such as mushrooms or underwater flora are a different story and require different environments to thrive.
Below, Minecraft players will find a list of all the plantable crops in Minecraft:
- Glow Berries
Although these crops vary wildly in behavior and growth methods, it’s important to know that only a few of them are actually planted via seeds.
Among these crops, the only ones that can have physical seeds obtained and planted on farmland are wheat, carrots, potatoes, beetroot, pumpkins, and melons.
Random Worlds Vs Customized Worlds
There are two types of players in Minecraft, one who just jumps into the game in a random world without any preference. On the other hand, some players want to enter into a world that they know about. Minecraft generates worlds for each player randomly without providing preferences to them. But while using seeds, one can define the world they want to enter into according to their preferences and conditions. With the help of seeds, you can always determine the world you want to enter in and have your preferred world and environment around you.
Read Also: How To Break Glass Minecraft
How Do You Grow Crops
How to grow your own food crops
How To Find The Seed Of A Minecraft Server Without Being An Admin
If youve tried to get the seed from people with admin powers and arent having luck, some use a mod to download the world and then get the seed. Since the world can be saved to your computer and opened while you have complete control, this might enable you to get the seed.
There are a few ways to install it, but the best one is probably using MultiMC, a popular Minecraft launcher.
Install World Downloader Mod
Once you have MultiMC installed, you can use it to run World Downloader Mod.
Using World Downloader
Read Also: Can You Tame A Zombie Horse In Minecraft
How To Create Your Own World With The Best Minecraft Seeds
Creating a world in Minecraft is one of the easiest things you can achieve. It doesn’t require any kind of skill or technique to create your own world in Minecraft. You have to put the Minecraft seed into the world generator and get started with your own custom world.
How To Grow Melons In Minecraft
1. The first step in growing melons would be to locate some melon seeds. In the past, the only way to find melon seeds was to locate them through treasure loot. These days, you can find melons growing naturally in savannah villages and jungle biomes. You can also find them through wandering trader inventories, they will trade melon seeds for 1 emerald.
2. Regardless of your method, you only need 1 melon seed to eventually grow large amounts of melons. Once you have located your melon seeds, consider where you would like to plant your melons. Use a hoe to till the ground to prepare your melon seeds.
3. Also, consider where you want the melons to grow. If you have all four sides of the melon plant open, the melon can randomly grow at any one of these four sides. If you want your melon plants to grow in a row, ensure that the melon plant only has one space that the eventual melon could fit.
4. Next, you will want to ensure the ground is hydrated by placing a water source block within 4 blocks of the tilled ground. While 1 tile of water can hydrate a large area, you can add more water for cosmetic purposes if you wish.
5. Next, you will just need to plant your melon seeds. For your melons to grow, they require at least one adjacent block of space that is open. Having multiple blocks of space will increase the time that melons will grow, but it can be difficult keeping the melons looking neat and orderly.
That is all you need to do to grow melons in Minecraft.
Recommended Reading: What Can You Make With Rabbit Hide
Bonus: How To Grow Carrots And Potatoes In Minecraft
Covering all the basic foods in Minecraft, lets turn our attention to carrots and potatoes in Minecraft. Even though carrots and potatoes dont have dedicated seeds in the game, they can be grown and harvested as easily. But, a major difference is that if we try breaking a half-grown carrot or potato, they drop nothing. With that out of the way, learn how to grow potatoes and carrots.
1. Most commonly found in village farms, you should start by finding fully grown potato and carrot crops. You can also find them in chests or by trading with villagers.
2. Once you find the crops, approach the crops and left-click or use the action button to break them. Its similar to attacking any in-game mob or block. Breaking the crop will make the carrot and potato drop like other in-game items. You can get close to them, and the character will pick them up automatically.
4. Now, to make them work as a seed, all you need to do is plant them. Similar to sowing seeds, find a harvestable ground and right-click on it to plant them. Then, after some time, the carrots and potatoes will turn into full-grown crops that you can harvest and use as seeds once again. We also have a dedicated guide on how to get carrots and plant seeds in Minecraft, so check it out via the linked article.
Dimension And Feature Selection
Below the seed and version, you can also choose the Minecraft dimension that you want to view . This, and the version you use, will affect which features can be enabled. To toggle certain features, click on the icons in the features box just above the map.
You can also expand and collapse features box by clicking the arrow on the right side of the box to show the full names of the features, as well as some more options.
Note that some features will only show if you zoomed in enough. This is to keep the app fast and to not flood it with icons. The app will show a warning and all affected features will be highlighted once that happens.
You May Like: How To Mine Glass In Minecraft
What Kind Of Soil Do You Use To Plant Seeds In Minecraft
Any type of grass or soil can be plowed into soil with a hoe. All crops will grow on tilled soil, but some plants can be grown on other types of blocks. If you dont plant anything in the dirt, it will eventually revert back to normal dirt, unless its next to a water block.
Saplings, Mushrooms, and Sugarcane will grow on any block, but Sugarcane will only grow near water. Most crops dont need water, but they grow faster if theyre close to a water source.
Why Wont The Ground Take My Seed
Im playing a bit of hardcore and Im building a farm. My problem is that sometimes when I go to plant one the ground refuses to take my seed.
This is unacceptable! Resources are short. Sometimes walking a large distance away changes this though.
So Im wondering is this an in-game mechanic I am unaware of or is this a bug? The wiki has no mention of this as an in-game mechanic. I am using Java version 1.14.2.
Here is a screenshot of one of the affected areas:
I have tried removing the block, re-hoeing, and attempting to sow the seed again. Nothing worked. I even tried the soil in different states .
- 7To those coming from HNQ: We all know the joke you want to make, it’s already been made and deleted, since the comment section was getting crowded.Jun 26, 2019 at 17:21
- It is difficult to beat the titles from Arqade for double meanings.
Seeds are afraid of the dark, they don´t like the dark and cold farmland when the light level of the block they are in is under 8. They will want to stay with you, so you can keep them warm and protected.
Seeds are so afraid of the dark that they may “pop off” the ground in an attempt to find a player who can take care of them.
Give them a night light if you want your seeds to feel safe in a cave:
Don’t Miss: Potion Of Decay
How To Actually Gain The Seeds
When it comes to physically acquire your seeds, for items like Melons and pumpkins, you can gain these seeds by physically harvesting the plant itself and thus acquiring the seeds necessary to make more of your desired product. The only exception to this rule will be one of the first seeds you will most likely find in the early stages of the game: Wheat.
Wheat can not only be gained from its own crop but it can mainly be found in grass blocks which can be easily broken with a well-placed punch.
Keep in mind though that to even gain a handful of these seeds you will need to be harvesting a great deal of grass to find the seeds you desire. The chances of seeds dropping from grass blocks are shockingly low, so start your search in areas where the grass is high in volume. Once you plant enough seeds you can have a fully functional wheat farm in your territory if you organize yourself well enough.
How To Get Wheat And Beetroot Seeds In Minecraft
If you spawn in villages of Minecraft, seeds are the easiest to come across. Both beetroot and wheat seeds can be found in chests, on trading with villagers, and by natural harvesting. Naturally, you can come across wheat and beetroot crops growing in the villages too. Though, the chance of that happening is very low. Theres only a 10% chance of beetroots growing naturally on a village farm.
So, generally speaking, beetroots are a rare type of food item. Thats why you can find its seeds in the chests while exploring the Mansions, Mineshafts, and even the End City. But if we leave aside the loot, we can also harvest beetroot and wheat seeds easily. Heres how.
1. To start, locate fully grown wheat or beetroot crops for their seeds. You can even break grass blocks to get wheat seeds. Now, we aim for fully grown crops, so we can get the seeds alongside the main products wheat and beetroot. Breaking the crops before maturity will drop seeds but not the food item itself. Fully grown crops would look like the following screenshot:
2. Then, approach the crops and left-click on them or use the action button to break them. Its similar to attacking an in-game mob or breaking a block. Breaking the cropwill lead them to drop seeds and the main item as well. You can then easily pick them up if your character touches them.
Don’t Miss: Minecraft Rabbit Hide Recipes
The Easiest Way To Grow Crops In Minecraft
The methods for obtaining and using seeds work the same for the Minecraft Java and Bedrock versions. They will also work on any other device that supports Minecraft, such as Minecraft on a Chromebook or Minecraft PE on Android and iOS. Unlike the real world, seeds work the same in all Minecraft biomes if you use plowed soil or grass blocks.
And if you feel stuck at any point in the process, feel free to reach out with your request in the comments section below and well help you out. Now use your knowledge to find seeds in Minecraft and start farming!
Planting Melons And Pumpkins
Don’t Miss: Best Minecraft Pathways
Finding Pumpkins In Villages
Best Java Seeds For Minecraft 119 Update
The 1.19 update to Minecraft introduced a lot of new features. Two major biomes, the Deep Dark and Mangrove Swamp, have been added to the game and are quickly becoming quite popular. All three mobs, Allay, the Warden, and Frogs, have been popular, with Frogs potentially taking the cake.
The two biomes are arguably the biggest additions to the game. Both the Deep Dark and Mangrove Swamp offer reasons to visit them, but there’s only one problem: they can be difficult to find.
The Mangrove Swamp is a sub-biome of the swamp, and Deep Dark can only be found underground. Neither can be command located, so what’s the best way to find one? That would be using a seed.
Here are a few good Java seeds to try out in 1.19.
Don’t Miss: Minecraft Folder Windows 10
How To Make Melon And Pumpkin Seeds In Minecraft
In terms of looting, we can find both melon and pumpkin seeds in rare chests, including the ones in dungeons, Mineshafts, and Woodland mansions. Additionally, pumpkin seeds can also be found in chests spawning in taiga villages. You can also get both these seeds by trading with wandering traders. We have written a detailed guide on how to get melon seeds in Minecraft, so check out the linked article. Moreover, the easiest way to get melon or pumpkin is by harvesting their fruit. Heres how that works:
1. To begin, find a fully grown pumpkin or melon that you want to harvest. Breaking a half-grown plant can also sometimes give you seeds, but not the actual food item. They would look like the following screenshot.
2. Then, once you get close to them, press and hold down your left click or action button. Keep doing this until the grown fruit breaks. Its similar to breaking any other block in the game, but you dont need any tool to do it.
3. Once the fruit breaks, it will drop an item, which is the fruit itself in the case of pumpkin, and a melon slice in case of melon. Getting close to the dropped items will make your character pick them. You will also note that, unlike other crops, melon and pumpkin dont leave the soil tilled. Once you harvest pumpkin or melon, the soil turns back to regular soil.
Even though harvesting different seeds can be slightly different than one another but the method to use them remains the same.