How To Add Controller Support To Minecraft Java Edition
Not being able to use your preferred controls in games may be quite distracting. A lot of gamers are used to playing Minecraft with a controller, and Java Edition not supporting gamepads may come as an unpleasant surprise. Thankfully, theres a way around it.
In this guide, well explain how to add controller support to Minecraft Java Edition on Windows 10, Mac, and Linux computers. Additionally, well list the most common reasons your controller doesnt connect and share instructions on adding controller support to Minecraft Bedrock.
How To Play Minecraft Java Edition With An Xbox 360 Gamepad
- #1Apr 12, 2019
- Member Details
Hi. I’m used to playing Minecraft one Xbox One. Is there any way I can set up an Xbox 360 gamepad controller with Minecraft Java Edition?
This tutorial gives a great walkthrough:
But it appears he’s using a steam account, and I couldn’t find the normal Minecraft Java Edition game on Steam. Is there any way to set up a controller? Playing any game with a keyboard is the Devil!
Can You Play Minecraft On Pc With A Controller
There is no built-in controller support on the PC version of Minecraft. You will need something like Xpadder to change each controller input to a keyboard/mouse input in order to use a controller. The Minecraft: Windows 10 Edition supports multiple control schemes, including controllers and touchscreens.
Read Also: Elytra Crafting Recipe
How To Add Controller Support To Minecraft Java
As mentioned above, Minecraft Java Edition doesnt have native controller support. Thus, to use it in the game, you have to install third-party mods. One of the most popular mods for this purpose is Controllable. Below, youll find the instructions for setting up controller support on different operating systems.
Windows Mixed Reality Vr
Minecraft VR installer on Windows mixed reality headsets allows players to explore Minecraft terrains in a 3D environment. You can also make concrete in Minecraft, but it will feel like you are mining it yourself. Windows Mixed Reality also gives you a lot more options and creates an ideal digital environment. So, follow these steps to play Minecraft VR on Windows mixed reality.
Simply plug in the headset through USB, and youre ready to enjoy the Minecraft VR mode on Windows. You can play Minecraft VR free on this platform, so just plug in, and get, set, go.
Minecraft in Windows 10 is compatible with Windows Mixed Reality headsets, allowing you to enjoy all of the games features. Similarly, there are a large number of VR cans from which you can choose. Windows mixed reality headsets are being developed by a slew of digital companies, so choose one carefully.
Dell, HP, Samsung, and Acer have all developed headsets for Windows Mixed Reality Minecraft VR. It means you may choose whatever device works best for you at a reasonable price.
Read Also: What Is Coarse Dirt Used For In Minecraft
How To Add Controller Support To Minecraft Bedrock
Minecraft Bedrock doesnt require any third-party mods to use a controller. The setup can be done via Steam. Follow the instructions below:
1. Visit the official Steam website and click the Install Steam button.
2. Run the installation file and follow the on-screen instructions.
3. Once Steam is installed, open the application and create an account or log in to an existing one.
4. In the Steam application, navigate to Library.
5. Click Add a Game, located at the bottom-left corner of your screen.
6. From the menu, select Add a Non-Steam Game. This will open your computer file library.
7. Find the Minecraft Bedrock Edition Launcher file in your Library and double-click it. The game should now be added.
8. Click the Big Picture Mode button located at the bottom-right of your Steam Library. It looks like a rectangle with two arrows pointing in opposite directions.
9. Plug in your controller. You have to use a cable for now but can connect it via Bluetooth once everything is set up.
10. Navigate to Steam Settings, then select Controller Settings.
11. Tick the checkbox next to the type of your controller and go back to Steam Library.
12. From the Library, open Minecraft settings. Click Manage Shortcut, located under the Minecraft picture.
13. Click Controller Options to edit the preferred controls.
How To Play Minecraft Vr
Minecraft virtual reality is available on various platforms such as Windows mixed reality, Oculus Rift, Playstation, Xbox, etc. However, before we tell you how to play Minecraft in VR, let us tell you it has two versions. The Minecraft VR starter collection costs US$29.99, and the Minecraft VR master collection costs US$49.99. So now, lets take a look at the different platforms to play Minecraft for VR.
You May Like: How Do Mushrooms Grow In Minecraft
Configure Xbox Controllers For Minecraft Java
The operation will take some time as you have to configure each controller, but you only have to do it once.
- Connect the Xbox controller to Windows 10.
- Open Steam> enter Th vinchoose Minecraft > then select Controller Configuration.
- Select each control item, joystick, keyboard, etc., and map it to a keyboard control. To use the left analog for navigation, configure it as one Directional pad and map it to the keys WASD. To use the right analog to rotate the camera, map it as a Joystick mouse.
- When you are finished configuring the controller, click the green button under Minecraft in Steam.
- The game will open and you should be able to use your controller to play it.
Steam isnt the only app you can use to add controller support for Minecraft Java. There are other applications, some for free, some for a fee, that do this job, but their configuration controls may be limited. Try Steam out before you choose other apps.
Add Minecraft To The Steam Library
Once Step 1 is finished, open up the steam application, and click library. In the bottom left corner there will be a button called “Add a Game.” From this button there will be a drop down menu, click “Add a Non-Steam Game.” Browse through the computer files for Minecraft Launcher and click on it. Java Edition Minecraft should now be added to the Steam Library.
Read Also: How To Make A Working Shower In Minecraft
How To Play Minecraft With An Xbox Ps4 Or Ps5 Controller
You can play Minecraft Java Edition with an Xbox, PS4, or PS5 controller by way of launching the game on Steam and then configuring the buttons via its Big Picture mode.
Heres the simple process of setting up a controller to use with Minecraft Java on PC:
And heres a step-by-step guide on how to get Minecraft Java working with a controller:
Minecraft Vr In Playstation
Minecraft is now compatible with PlayStation VR headsets too. You may now enjoy Minecraft VR in PlayStation, thanks to the most recent update. All youll need is a PS3 or PS4 controller and a PlayStation VR headset for this, and you are set to conquer the Minecraft VR world on Playstation.
Firstly, update the Minecraft VR setup on your PlayStation 4 gaming console and be ready to look inside the gameplay. There will be two distinct modes that will appear after upgrading the match:
- Living Room Mode.
- Immersive Mode.
As the name says, Living Room Mode allows you to play the Minecraft VR version of the game while sitting on a sofa. In fact, from building a furnace in Minecraft to teleport in Minecraft-you can do everything here. Only,
the experience will be more magnified.
If you are done enjoying the Minecraft VR living room mode, its time you play in an immersive way too. This mode will allow you to roam about freely within the game, just like you would in real life.
Don’t Miss: How To Craft Stairs In Minecraft
Is It Possible To Play Minecraft Pc With An Xbox Controller
There is no built-in controller support on the PC version of Minecraft.
You will need something like Xpadder to change each controller input to a keyboard/mouse input in order to use a controller.
The Minecraft: Windows 10 Edition supports multiple control schemes, including controllers and touchscreens.
Open Steam In Big Picture Mode
Next, youll need to open Steam in Big Picture Mode. This will allow you to configure Minecrafts controller settings manually.
To do this, go to the Big Picture Mode icon in the top-right hand corner of Steam. After entering the mode, click on the settings cog and then go to Controller Settings. Now, select the controller you wish to use from the menu.
Youll want to make sure your controller is plugged in and is listed under Detected Controllers before you proceed.
Read Also: How To Make A Grass Path In Minecraft
How Do You Get Good At Squad
Other Squad tips for beginners
Why Wont My Controller Connect
If your controller doesnt connect to your computer or Minecraft in particular, make sure you didnt make one of the following mistakes:
· Youre trying to set up a controller for Java Edition through Steam. Java Edition doesnt have controller support, so make sure youve installed the required mods.
· You didnt set up the preferred controls. Make sure you completed steps 12-13 of the setup process.
· You chose Activate a Product on Steam instead of Add a Non-Steam Game at the 6th step of the setup instructions. Repeat the process and select the right option.
· You have Bluetooth issues. Try connecting the controller using a cable.
If neither of the above-mentioned reasons works for you, your controller drivers likely arent up to date. To update controller drivers on a Windows PC, follow the steps below:
1. Press the Windows key and type in devmgmt.msc to the search box.
2. Once the Device Manager opens, expand the Xbox Peripherals section and right-click the name of your controller.
3. From the dropdown menu, select Update Driver Software.
4. Click Search Automatically and follow on-screen instructions to install the newest drivers.
Note: No native controller drivers are available for Mac OS. Youll have to find the latest drivers for your controller online and install them. The instructions may differ and are beyond the scope of this article.
You May Like: Minecraft Realms Idle Kick
Minecraft Vr In Oculus Rift
If you want to know how to play Minecraft in VR, you can download Minecraft for Oculus Rift in two ways. You can either download it straight from the Windows, or Oculus Store. Once you download the game, follow the steps to enjoy Minecraft VR.
To get Minecraft on Windows, go to the Microsoft Windows Store and look for the Minecraft app. Then, install Minecraft from a backup, sign in with your Microsoft account, and set up the app. You may even play the game for free before buying the full version.
The Oculus Rift Demo edition of Minecraft VR may be used for free. So you may build whatever you want and visit many planets in this game. You can even see durability in Minecraft VR, so nothing changes here from your usual gameplay.
Now, its time to fight the hazardous Mobs youll have to persevere here. In virtual reality Minecraft, the viewpoint will be first-person rather than third-person. Therefore, you will have a better game experience if you use the Rift Minecraft VR headsets.
Finally, you can also play virtual reality Minecraft creatively on Oculus Rift with infinite resources. Or, you can play it in a survival mode, mining deep within the planet and crafting guns and armor to fight the toxic audience.
Why Is My Controller Not Connecting
If your controller wont connect to your computer or Minecraft in particular, make sure you havent made one of the following mistakes:
- Youre trying to set up a controller for Java Edition via Steam. Java Edition does not support the controller, so make sure you have installed the required mods.
- You havent set your favorite controls. Make sure you have completed steps 12-13 of the installation process.
- You choose Activate a product on Steam instead of Add a game no Steam at 6 ° step configuration instructions. Repeat the process and select the right option.
- Youre having trouble with Bluetooth. Try connecting the controller with a cable.
If none of the reasons mentioned above work for you, chances are your controller drivers are out of date. To update the controller drivers on a Windows PC, follow the steps below:
Note- There are no native controller drivers for Mac OS. You will need to find the latest drivers for your controller online and install them. The instructions may differ and are beyond the scope of this article.
Don’t Miss: What Are Nautilus Shells Used For In Minecraft
Can You Play Minecraft Windows 10 Edition With A Controller
It is possible to play with your mouse and keyboard if you connect a controller. Microsofts Xbox controllers are compatible with Minecraft. Alternatively, you can connect the Xbox One controller directly to your Windows PC via a microUSB cable or you can choose an older Xbox 360 controller and a wireless adapter.
Can Windows 10 Minecraft Play With Xbox
You can play with up to four other people running Minecraft: Windows 10 Edition or Pocket Edition on your local network. You can also play online with up to four of your Xbox Live friends in online multiplayer gaming. Visit Minecraft Realms support at Microsoft, or Mojang support for more information.
You May Like: What Is Coarse Dirt In Minecraft
How To Play Minecraft Java With A Controller On Pc Guide
Minecraft Java Edition doesnt offer native support for controllers, though there are easy and swift workarounds to get it to do just that. With some minor tinkering, survivalists can play Minecraft Java with an Xbox, PS4, PS5, and just about any other controller that they have at their disposal. Heres how to set it up.
How Can I Play Minecraft On My Pc
To do this, go to the Big Picture Mode icon in the top-right hand corner of Steam. After entering the mode, click on the settings cog and then go to Controller Settings. Now, select the controller you wish to use from the menu. Youll want to make sure your controller is plugged in and is listed under Detected Controllers before you proceed. 3.
Recommended Reading: Minecraft How To Get Snowballs
How To Setup A Controller To Play
MWalnuts said:Hello, so I’ve been meaning to swap to a controller for a while now, mainly because after a week or so of farming my wrists are really hurting now. I’ve read in previous threads that it’s generally allowed as long as you don’t bind macros to it or whatever.I want to know how people generally setup their controller to work with minecraft , but wanted to make sure before I go doing it so I’m one with the trend .I mainly will be doing this for Skyblock, specifically just when farming crops and doing slayers .Thanks :]
Add Minecraft To Steam
Minecraft Java Edition needs to be added to Steam in order for a controller to be manually added to Go to Steam, then select Add a game in the bottom-left corner. Now choose add a Non-Steam game.
You can then choose Minecraft in the menu or the Minecraft Launcher. you will now be able to launch Minecraft directly from Steam.
Recommended Reading: How To Make A Auto Sugarcane Farm
Play Minecraft Java With Xbox Controller
In order to play Minecraft Java with an Xbox controller, you guys need an app. That can run in the background and transmit the controllers input to the game, and you also need to configure it. So that the controls are transmitted correctly.
Steam also has excellent controller support it can support generic gamepads, PS4 controllers, and Xbox controllers. You guys can use this method to connect and use just about any controller along with Minecraft Java.
- You have to download the Steam client for Windows 10.
- Just open Steam.
- Sign in with your Steam account .
- Head to Steam> Settings.
- Tap on General controller settings.
- Then turn on the support for your Xbox controller.
Add Minecraft to Steam library
You must have Minecraft Java already installed on your Windows 10 system in order to proceed.
- First of all, just Open Steam.
- Head to Games> Adds a non-Steam game to My Library.
- Choose the Minecraft Launcher.
- Then tap on Add selected programs.
Configure Xbox controller for Minecraft Java
This will actually take a little time since you have to configure each control set, however, you only have to do it at least once.
Note: Controller configurations can be changed at any time and reset to default. These settings are only for Minecraft Java as well. No other games will comply along with these configurations.
Well, That all from my side. If you want to know more about this article or have any queries. Then feel free to ask me anything in the comments section below.